Tuesday, November 7, 2017

CBPOA - November 1st, 2017 Executive Committee meeting - Acitivities and Actions

1)      Given the schedule conflicts of some Directors, in 2018, the Executive Committee will meet on Tuesday evenings in the alternate months to the General meetings.
The General meetings will continue to be held on the first Wednesday of the month.
There will now be 6 meetings in 2018, to be held in January, March, May, July, September, and November, with the Christmas mingle as a social event in December.

2)      The City has delivered the invitations to their (second) community Open House to be held on Wednesday November 8th, from 6 PM to 8 pm at Beecher Place.

The CBPOA General meeting on Wednesday, November 15th will be held at Beecher Place at 7:30 pm.

3)      Emergency Preparedness. Conversations are occurring with those members previously involved and this will be a topic at the January 2018 General meeting to discuss the current appetite among members to pursue some type of initiative.

4)      The rail fencing and whistle cessation initiatives were discussed and the Executive Committee is asking the City for what can be communicated to our members.

5)      Preparation for the December meeting and Christmas mingle.

The Blackie Spit Preservation Society AGM will be part of the December meeting agenda.






Friday, October 13, 2017

CBPOA - October 4th, 2017, Executive Committee meeting. Activities and Actions.

1)    Andrew welcomed Jim Carter, the newly elected Treasurer and Beryl Kirk, the newly appointed Director-at-large, to the Executive Committee.

2)    In accordance with the September 6th Quarterly General meeting, approved members’ proposal, there will be six open General meetings in 2018.

The meetings will be held the first Wednesday of the months of: January, March, May, July, September, (followed by the AGM), and November. The Christmas Mingle in December will be a purely social get together. 

3)    A reminder of the scheduled meetings for the review process for the Crescent Beach Community Development Plan, (Land Use Plan).    
     
Wednesday, November 8th – the City will send invitations to all residents.
Wednesday, November 15th, CBPOA open meeting for further discussion.

4)    There being no information or impetus coming from the September 16th Emergency Preparedness and safety event, Ed Searcy and Beryl Kirk will contact Henry Wendel ,and others of the group previously involved, to see if there is a way to gauge the appetite of the membership to engage in some form of Emergency Preparedness planning.

5)    Andrew will follow up with the residents of Bayview who expressed interest at the September General meeting in forming a project group regarding whistle cessation and the associated fence along Bayview.


Monday, August 7, 2017

CBPOA - August 2nd, 2017 Executive Committee Meeting - Activities and Actions

1)    The Review of the Crescent Beach Community Development Plan.

The City Planning Department is preparing boards that will outline the feedback from the first round of consultation in preparation for the next Open House to be held in September. There will be a much reduced list of options based on that feedback.

2)    Preparation for the September 6th Quarterly General Meeting and the 2017 AGM.

Members will be asked where they are in their thinking around the “Neighbourhood Emergency Preparedness Toolkit”, which was introduced at the June meeting.

There are members willing to stand for the positions of Secretary and Treasurer which are up for renewal at the 2017 AGM. A request for nominations from the floor will be made prior to the vote.


There is one person expressing interest in the position of Director-at Large. These positions are important for continuity and succession planning. Please speak with any Director to express your interest in becoming part of the Executive Committee.

Monday, July 10, 2017

CBPOA - July 5th, 2017 Executive Committee meeting.

       CBPOA – July 5th, 2017, Executive Committee meeting.
                                                Activities and Actions

1)      The Review of the Crescent Beach Community Development Plan, (Land Use Plan).

The City is in contact regarding the next Community meeting to be held in September. The transcribing of all the comments received at the first meeting on May 15th is almost complete and will be sent to us to communicate to our members.
As per the request at the June Quarterly General meeting, Beecher Place has been booked for Wednesday October 5th as an open meeting, for members to discuss opportunities/issues raised at the second (September) Review meeting.

2)      BCs New Societies Act.
There being no questions/suggestions from members following the June meeting, our lawyer will be asked to proceed with updating the CBPOA Constitution and Bylaws document, making only those changes required to comply with the new Provincial legislation.

3)      Neighbourhood Emergency Preparedness Toolkit.
There has been some interest expressed following the discussion at the June meeting. Alexandra Neighbourhood House has been offered as an emergency gathering place.  Will ask where people are in their thinking at the September meeting.

4)      Look ahead to the September Quarterly General Meeting and AGM.

We have members expressing interest for the two year positions of Treasurer and Secretary which are up for renewal at the September AGM. One person has expressed interest in the Director at Large position and Andrew will be in contact.

Sunday, May 7, 2017

CBPOA - May 3rd, 2017, Executive Committee Meeting

                     CBPOA – May 3rd, 2017, Executive Committee meeting.
                                                 Activities and Actions

1)    The May 15th, 2017 Community Open House on the Review of the Crescent Beach Community Development Plan, (Land Use Plan).
Beecher Place, doors open at 6PM with the presentation starting at 7PM.                      (Please see the March 1st, 2017, Quarterly General Meeting draft minutes for the introductory presentation by Don Luymes, City of Surrey, Planning Dept.)
There will be a mail drop to all residents from the City the week prior to the Open House.

2)    BC’s New Societies Act. Ed Searcy will introduce this item at the June 7th, Quarterly General Meeting. The intent is to make only those changes to the CBPOA Constitution & Bylaws Document required by the new legislation. At the same time, it will indicated that any member wishing to suggest a change or a review of the CBPOA Constitution & Bylaws document will be given an opportunity to contact a Director within 14 days to make such a request.

For more information, please Google “Preparing for B.C.’s New Societies Act”. To access the CBPOA Constitution & Bylaws document, Google CBPOA and go to cbpoa.ca-CBPOA. Under Navigation, click on Resources and go to CBPOA Societies Act pdf.

3)    Executive Committee positions up for election at the September 2017 AGM.  We now have members willing to let their names stand for the positions of Treasurer and Secretary. We are still looking for expressions of interest in the Director-at-Large positions as an opportunity to become involved and to aid in succession planning.

4)    Emergency Preparedness. Following on from the topic having been raised at the March 1st, 2017 Quarterly General meeting, a meeting was held with Mark Griffioen, the Assistant Fire Chief to determine what is out there. The City, as part of the Surrey Emergency Program, (SEP, updated December, 2015), has prepared four guides, called “toolkits” available on line at www.surrey.ca/sep . Mark Griffioen is encouraging communities to engage with the “Neighbourhood Emergency Preparedness Toolkit”. This topic will be brought forward for discussion at the June Quarterly General Meeting.

5)    Beautification project at the Sullivan sports box. This is on hold pending a review by the city of what other improvement work should be carried out at the sports box/area, prior to any beautification work.

6)    Look ahead to the June 7th Quarterly General meeting.



Sunday, April 9, 2017

CBPOA - April 5th, 2017 Executive Committee Meeting

        CBPOA – April 5th, 2017, Executive Committee meeting minutes.
                                        Activities and Actions

1)    There is a South Surrey RCMP Neighbourhood Safety Meeting scheduled for Thursday, May 3rd at 6:30PM, (doors open at 6PM), at Elgin Secondary School, 13484, 24th Avenue, Surrey.

2)    B.C.’s New Societies Act requires some changes in the layout of the CBPOA Constitution and Bylaws document and we have until November 28th, 2018 to make the required changes. Our planned approach is to make only those changes necessitated by the new legislation. This will be an agenda item at the June Quarterly General Meeting.

For more information, please Google “Preparing for B.C.’s New Societies Act”. To access the CBPOA Constitution and Bylaws document, Google CBPOA and go to cbpoa.ca-CBPOA. Under Navigation, click on Resources and go to the CBPOA Societies Act.pdf.

3)    Look ahead to the June Quarterly General Meeting.
There has been no response to the call for interest in the Treasurer position coming vacant at the September AGM. A more urgent call for interest will be made at the meeting along with interest in becoming a Director Large to aid in succession planning.




Sunday, February 12, 2017

        CBPOA – February 8th, 2017, Executive Committee Meeting.

                                      Activities and Actions.

1)    Church Property Development Survey.

It is felt that a survey response totaling 182 members represents a huge success. It has validated the survey approach and technique as a means to quickly respond to the membership and gain the temperature and pulse with respect to the church property development.
Comments received with respect to confusion and lack of clarity with two of the ten questions, are helpful in ensuring questions in future surveys are designed to be clear and unambiguous. Having said that, having alerted us all to the ambiguity of commonly used terms in community design, such as “vibrancy” and “live-ability” should prove beneficial in future discussions around the Community plan.
Next steps: - combine the responses from our members who prefer to use paper with the electronic Survey Monkey responses in a summary form and communicate the results back to the membership. Having done that, arrange to meet with the City of Surrey, Planning department to communicate the results.

2)    Paddle Board survey.

Given the 70% agree, 10% neutral, 20% disagree result from the 140 members responding, the City of Surrey, Parks, Recreation and Culture department has been contacted, indicating membership support for their asking for proposals for a new contract.
Member comments regarding observed deficiencies around water safety standards and compliance will be communicated to the City Parks dept. for them to address in any new contract.

3)    Planning for the March Quarterly General Meeting.