Tuesday, May 10, 2016

2016 April

CBPOA Executive Committee Meeting held April 6th, 2016

Activities and Actions

1.     Liz to confirm with David Grant that the 2015 CBPOA CRA filing has been completed.
2.     The transfer of funds to the Blackie Spit Preservation Society according to the agreement in place with the CBPOA is still pending.  Liz to follow-up with David Grant.
3.     From the January 2016 Activities and Actions, gathering information on traffic incidents in Crescent Beach to support a traffic calming strategy has been set aside in light of the pending review of the Community Plan.  In a related matter, the City has requested a meeting with the CBPOA to discuss calming.  Malcolm has asked for clarification of why the meeting is being called given discussions that have already taken place and the pending review of the Community Plan.  In the meantime, Art will contact District 5 RCMP and ask what plans they have in place to manage traffic/policing over the spring and summer especially in light of the fact that speeding continues to be a problem on Sullivan (where calming is in place) and McBride north of Sullivan (where calming was rejected by the residents) as well as other streets in the Community.
4.     With respect to streamlining Quarterly Meeting process, Malcolm provided some thoughts around the introduction of motions at meetings.  At issue is a need to ensure motions brought forward are clear, there is sufficient information to make an informed decision and there is generally broad member support for a motion.  Often words are cobbled together on the spot resulting in motions that are confusing or poorly worded. The following proposed process will be outlined to the membership in the next meeting reminder message prior to the June 2016 meeting:
1.     New motions, unrelated to the business at hand, should be published in advance of the Quarterly General Meeting along with supporting documentation and an indication if there is general support for the motion.  Preferably, there should be sufficient time for the Directors to see the motion in advance of the meeting. The proposed motion would be provided in the meeting reminder notice.
2.     The Chair is in charge and can table a motion or refuse to accept a motion where the motion is unclear or needs more work.
5.     With respect to improving meeting efficiency, it was agreed that it would be helpful for members to physically see the words of the motion under debate.  One way, is to project the motion on a screen and Mark will follow up on what technology is available.
6.     Garbage collection, particularly at Blackie Spit Park, continues to be problematic on high volume days.   High volume days are generally predictable and Malcolm will ask the City what their plan for the summer is.
7.     Malcolm indicated the City will attend the next Quarterly meeting to provide and update on the City’s plans to manage flooding.  Temporary barriers are being stored near the pumping station and it was suggested rather than store the barriers there, they could be put to use as medians to define parking in the gravel area at Blackie Spit.  Erik will be asked to follow-up with the City.
8.     Logistics around the volunteer appreciation event to be held at Art’s on April 23rd were reviewed.
9.     It would be helpful for membership to know the schedule for the Community Plan review.  Erik will be asked to follow-up with the City.
10. A meeting for late April is being scheduled with the City for an update on Whistle Cessation.
11. Mark provided an update on the progress of a beatification grant application to landscape the median round about at the South end of McBride.  A driftwood feature has been dropped off and landscape plan has been completed.  Directors are coming together on Sunday, April 10th to clean up the are prior to planting.
12.  David asked we solicit input at the next Quarterly meeting, for strategic input on the future of Camp A to help define the Camp’s future.  Thoughts can be sent directly to David.

13. Art indicated Camp A requires volunteers to support it’s Centennial activities.  Malcolm will follow-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment